Static Shock

Static electricity shocks -I am so sick and tired of it. My clothes cling to my skin like I'm a big chunk of magnet, my hair stands up when I brush them, Touching the doorknobs give me the shocks, and even touching or kissing my husband is giving me static electric shock.

So what is this static shock thing and why this thing happens? I remember my highschool teacher illustrate static electricity with a comb and shredded paper.

My friend google has this explanation:
Seventy percent of the human body is water and that makes us a walking conductors continuously conducting charges while performing normal activities.
The build-up of these charges in our body increases when air is dry and arid like in winter. The low level of moisture in the air and the dryness of skin does not provide much oppurtunity for the electrons gathered in the body to dissipate quickly and easily.
When a person comes in contact with a conductor like metals, the charge in the person's body gets transfered to the metal rapidly resulting in a static shock.
SOURCE

HOW TO LESSEN CHANCES OF SHOCKS

1. Humidify the air

2. Moisturize your body (lotions galore)

3. Walk barefoot or cover your foot with foil - what??? see source

4. Carry a coin or metal to use to touch grounded metal objects.

5. Use fabric softener on clothes.

6. Use clothing made of cotton or wool.


1 comment:

Scott said...

I've been having the same thing every time I kiss my Girlfriend. I'm gonna try your tips. -Thx