LAUNDRY

Laundry time is not always fun for me. I used to wash clothes with my bare hands with the aid of my washing paraphernalias - a big basin, a netbag scrub, Ariel or Tide powder or Speed bar (when i'm on a tight budget) and Perla bar for the whites.
When I arrived in the USA, washer and dryer became my new best friends. The push button capabilities made my life easier. We used to live in an apartment complex and we wash our clothes in a laundromat. It is necessary to have extra cash to do the laundry each week so when my husband and I hit a financial low, I decided to hand wash our clothes. 

Hand washing is a walk in the park. NO! A standard american bathroom is not a perfect place to do "labadami". There is not enough space for a big basin, no space to sit, among other challenges. For the longest time I could not find a basin big enough to soak our clothes in so the tub did the job for me. 

Thankfully, we were able to buy a square container that is deep and wide enough to use as wash basin. I was able to lessen laundry load by washing one article of clothing at a time. Jeans were the most difficult to wash as I just didnt have enough space to spread them on for a good brushing. Drying is done hanging the clothes in front of a blowing electric fan. This process presents a bigger challenge since we were not allowed to hang any clothing outside. 

The task may be daunting and challenging by my efforts paid off and we saved a few bucks :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i like handwashed clothes better too. but i do suspect that it is a foreign idea for them there in the U.S. where washing machines are the norm

i admire your courage and industry. it's admirable that you actually washed clothes with your hands there